It’s Bicycle Season! Check out these great references for all of Michigan Bicycle Laws and Safety Information…
These booklets are also available at the Gerrish Police Department if you would like to pick one up.
- Follow the rules of the road and ride with traffic flow. Follow traffic signs and signals just like motorists do. Bicyclists can be ticketed for violating traffic laws.
- Use hand signals when turning.
- Stay to the right. Michigan law now requires motorists to give three feet of distance when passing a bicyclist.
- Bicyclists may never ride more than two abreast, however, the safest way to ride with traffic is single file.
- If you need to stop, move completely off the road as far as possible.
- Make eye contact at intersections and signal your intent.
- Utilize Bike Lanes if available and avoid riding on sidewalks. Bicyclists must yield to pedestrians.
- Always wear proper safety gear, especially a helmet and wear brightly-colored, high-visibility reflective clothing.
- Before you ride, make sure your bicycle is checked over and tires are properly inflated. Make sure brakes are in working order and inspect the chain.
For more information on Bicycle State Laws, Statute references and safety information, visit our “Michigan Bicycle Laws” page on our website at : https://www.gerrishpolice.org/gerrish-township-police-department/laws/michigan-bicycle-laws/